Copyrights @ Journal 2014 - Designed By Templateism - SEO Plugin by MyBloggerLab

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

, , , , ,

21. Tuesday's Tip: Is your ancestor's name among church history?

Share
Does your ancestor's church still meet? If so, try to find out how you may access the church's history to see what you may learn.  You may also be fortunate enough to


  • find members who can recall details about your ancestor
  • visit on a special occasion, such as a church homecoming when extending family come back to visit.
  • find connections to other ancestors or extended family
Emory Wallace Vance (1901-1973)
I searched for my grandfather, Emory Wallace Vance (1901-1973) on Google first, then I recalled the name of his church and was able to find a church history on Google  for Central Chapel AME in Yellow Springs, Ohio where he was mentioned as one of the first trustees of the church. 

This means that now I can contact the church to see if they have other records to share.  I am glad to be able to include this history because he was a very active member, and served in many ways.

He would take me there when I visited when I was very young.  The building was in walking distance of his house.  He was a quiet and gentleman who endured a great many trials throughout his life.  One of his favorite songs was "Peace in the Valley," written by Thomas Dorsey in 1937.    I was able to find it on YouTube.


Even though I was a very young child, I can remember when this song was sung at my dear Grandaddy's funeral at Central Chapel AME. It brought me great comfort. This rendition by Romance Watson below is the closest to what I remember: (It takes a moment to load)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Now Study Your Last Name with Genealogies on FamilySearch.org

Search The Guild of One-Name Studies on FamilySearch.org I received the press release included below about collections of The Guild of...

GeneaBloggers