Monday, September 13, 2010

20. Amanuensis Monday: Sweet Aunt Cat

By Robin Foster   Posted at  3:11 PM   Tony Burroughs No comments

Catherine T. Harrison (1917-1999)




This is an oral history interview with Catherine T. Harrison, my great aunt, on February 12, 1996. Aunt Cat is the daughter of George Anderson Tucker and Daisy Chick Tucker. This is the first interview I had ever done. I was encouraged through a class I was taking at Chicago State University on African American genealogy by Tony Burroughs, a famous genealogist who recently appeared on the PBS Series African Ancestors' Lives.


Aunt Cat was very supportive and kept in touch always with family members. She was truly a family historian. From the information that she shared, I was able to eventually find the census records from 1870 to 1930 for the Chick-Tucker and Sims-Talley families.

 
Question: Where did you go to school?


Catherine Tucker Harrison: 


" I went to school back in Buffalo, South Carolina...a grammar school...at a little school that was about a mile from our home. I went to rural school. I was there from the first grade through the seventh grade. I was pretty alert, so my older sister, who is your grandmother, ...she was married then and living in Columbia, South Carolina, and so she took me to Columbia, South Carolina, and I started school in the eighth grade there at Booker T. Washington High School.


I finished high school there in 1937. Then after I finished high school, there was a college in the same town, Benedict College, and I enrolled in Benedict College. I spent four years there, and I graduated from Benedict College with magna cum laude. Then after that, I taught at various places in South Carolina."




Read more at Suite101: Interviewing Extracts Rich African American heritage

About the Author

Robin is the National Genealogy Examiner and a member of the South Carolina Genealogical Society - Columbia Chapter. She has presented for the following chapters: Anderson, Pinckney, Greenville, Columbia. She presented at the 41st Annual Summer Workshop of the South Carolina Genealogical Society held at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History July 12-13 in 2013. Libraries and museums that have requested presentations that she has honored include: Lexington County Public Library (Cayce Branch), Union Carnegie Library, Richland Library (Main), Greenwood County Library, and Union County Museum..
Find Robin in other places: Entire Online Presence

0 comments:

Genealogy on Pinterest

Back to top ↑
Connect with Robin

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

GeneaBloggers

© 2013 Saving Stories. WP Mythemeshop Converted by Bloggertheme9
Blogger templates. Proudly Powered by Blogger.