Copyrights @ Journal 2014 - Designed By Templateism - SEO Plugin by MyBloggerLab

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

, , ,

Cherishing Cards and Letters

Share
President Johnson's 1967 White House Christmas...Image via Wikipedia(This post is dedicated to my new friend, Abby.)

I have been admiring the wonderful postcards shared in the Denmark Genealogy Research Community.  I have never thrown away a Christmas card.  We usually put them up every year to remind us of the wonderful greetings from family and friends over the years.

In this age of digital communication, the number of cards and letters at holidays and birthdays have dwindled. That just makes me cherish them even more. I especially love the letters and cards I have discovered that were shared by my ancestors long ago.  It makes me very curious about these treasures that my family members have tucked away in dresser drawers, boxes, and attics.

How my heart drop to see these bits of history carelessly tossed into the rubbish when people pass away.  What are you doing with the cards and letters in your family? This is just a reminder of how I was able to extract important pieces of information about my great great grandmother from a letter written by my grandfather to his cousin:


Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Now Study Your Last Name with Genealogies on FamilySearch.org

Search The Guild of One-Name Studies on FamilySearch.org I received the press release included below about collections of The Guild of...

GeneaBloggers